Saturday, October 16, 2010

A layout to share and a quick how-to

Just put the finishing touches on this layout last night, but I had to wait for daylight this morning to take a good picture of it. I'm really pleased with how it turned out :) I used Studio Calico's October 2010 kit (On the Easel) and it's for Stephanie's Oversized Border challenge on the SC blog.

Really happy with this layout, considering I didn't have a clear picture of how I wanted it to look before I started. Detail shots can be seen here, at the SC gallery.
So the challenge was to use an oversized border, but I didn't have any large border punches on hand. That's why I decided to use my two-inch circle punch and cut the circles in half to make a large border. I almost did just that, until I decided I wanted to add a little more detail to it and make the circles scalloped circles. Here's a simple tutorial on how I did the scalloped circles.

1. Punch out some circles with a 2-inch punch and a one-hole punch.

2. Cut the 2-inch circle in half, and put glue on the back side of the rim of the half circle.
3. Start lining up the small punched out circles along the rim of the large half-circle.

4. This is what the back side should look like in the end.

5. This is what the front side looks like. This can be the last step and you can make a couple more to line up along your page for an oversized border :)

6. As for me, nothing ever seems complete without some detail work with my pens. I love using my handy Staedler triplus fineliners. And that's it!

Of course, if you have a scalloped circle punch, you can save a lot of time and just use that, lol. But for me, the size of the scalloped circle punch I own just isn't one that would work with this layout, hence, this alternative method. Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading :)

14 comments:

  1. Amazing layout! Love the way you mixed up the pp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all of your work Geralyn - and that giant border is gorgeous. Love the detail you added with the pen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you used the hole punch! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This page is great, but for some reason I cannot view it or your other photos on your blog. I had to go to the SC site to view. =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. A creative way of using the hole punch!! Love the stitching details too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this page. I especially how you used only a portion of that shaped page - great way to frame the journaling, Geralyn. I always have such a hard time using those shaped pages. Thanks for the inspo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous page and great tute! Can't wait to try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great take on Steph´s challenge!! I love your page, the colors are great and I really like how you used your hole punch to create the scallop border, great idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this layout so much! I love your attention to detail... it's what makes your work AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, geralyn. i love you! this is an amazing layout, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute layout Geralyn. So nice to see you blogging now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great layout, and i love the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete