Friday, November 19, 2010

Trying something new.

Gillian issued a 'home decor' challenge on the SC blog this week, so I decided to try my hand at making a canvas art piece for my room. It was my first time attempting to make canvas art, so I did a lot of experimenting. Happy to say I'm quite pleased with the result. Perhaps I'll make more canvas art in the future! I took pictures as I made it, and thought I'd go through my process in making the art piece :) I decided to use all Documentary goodies, btw! Love the collection, and it was very fitting because I wanted to make my canvas art about my love of travel. (Forgive the not so great work-in-progress pictures; I made this canvas late last night so the lighting wasn't great).

I started with an 8x8 blank gallery-wrapped canvas, which I had lying around at home. (It was an old purchase from my days when I took art at school.) I wanted the background to look 'dreamy', so instead of using acrylic paint, I sprayed Seafoam Green Maya mist a couple of times on the canvas. Since the canvas doesn't really absorb the mist, I tried using a wet paintbrush and brushed the mist back and forth, then let it dry. It kind of looks like watercolor :) I'm too scared to use paint directly on my acrylic stamps LOL, but the clouds I painted were based on the Studio Calico cloud stamps released a while back. I used a very thin paintbrush to write 'go see do' (the phrase is from one of Studio Calico's stamps which I love but don't have my hands on yet!).

Then I punched out some random sized circles from the Documentary patterned papers, and I matted them on white cardstock. I played around with their arrangement on the canvas, and ended up with this. I used Modge Podge to glue the circles onto the canvas.

As an afterthought, I decided to add some tiny circles (punched out with my one-hole punch) as well. I like how they look like little confetti compared to the big circles.

Then I diluted white acrylic paint and very lightly white-washed the entire canvas. I wanted to make sure my text would stand out later. Notice how I lost my 'go see do' text on the bottom right hand corner...I didn't really plan out my canvas when I first wrote it, haha. I ended up repainting the phrase later on.

I used Cosmo Cricket's chipboard alpha for the text; the color matches the canvas perfectly. I love the word 'wanderlust' :) It's definitely fitting for me; there are so many places I want to travel to. It looked a little plain so I added a strip of SC's Fabrips on the right side. I am in love with the map design on this fabrip...it pained me a little bit to use it up...and now I need to go buy more, lol!

I took a photo of the completed project this morning. For the final touches, I ended up repainting the 'go see do' in the bottom right hand corner, and I cut out a little airplane from one of the Documentary patterned papers to put under the text. I'm quite happy with how this turned out, and now the canvas is sitting on the windowsill in my room.

Trying a new project isn't as intimidating as it seems. In fact, this canvas art was pretty simple to put together. I'd love to try making more canvas art with circle designs in the future :) Okay, that's all from me today. Happy Friday!

8 comments:

  1. I love this - it's fantastic. And the best thing about it is that when you see the finished product it looks so complicated, but when you break it down like this it looks very achievable! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome. your so talented. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, Geralyn! I have an empty space on my wall I've been meaning to do a canvas for--you've inspired me to get going on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really pretty! I would love to do this and just need to take the plunge. I just adore the colors & papers you used! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous! Home decor always intimidates me, but you rocked the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Geralyn! I left you some love on my blog. Go check it out when you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete