Friday, December 31, 2010

Studio Calico January 2011: Who's Who

 Hi everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying your New Year's Eve :) I just got home from a week-long family vacation today, and thought I'd finally share my Studio Calico Who's Who layouts and a little bit about each of them.

I really love the sentiment and circle design of the stamp from Dear Abby (sold out, but if you're quick enough, you can grab the stamp in the shop in 2 months time), and I knew I wanted to use the stamp creatively. I decided to mask and mist 2 inch circles on vanilla cardstock with Mister Huey Lunch Tray, then I stamped the circle stamp inside each of the circles with Pumice Stone distress ink (a lovely grey) and Versafine black ink. After that, it was just a matter of embellishing each circle with patterned paper, photos, BG brads (from Buster Brown) or stamped designs from the stamp set in Mary Jane. I used a favorite photo of me and my siblings as well as one of those cool KI Memories office pockets as the focal point. This layout was more technique-y and took longer than usual, but I love the end result :)

This layout was pretty simple to put together. I've been thinking a lot lately about my grandparents on my mom's side; they passed away when I was a lot younger. I asked my mom for a photo of my grandparents to scrapbook, and I love that the hues and tones of this photo match the colors of the kit so well :) I also cut out some of the exclusive blue/green SC pp on the left of the journaling to make a fun border. The little tag that I made at the top was lightly misted with Mister Huey Applejack - love that shade of green.

I started by printing out the photos first, then randomly arranged bits of patterned papers and embellishments on the Pink Paislee ink resist paper (which was misted with Mister Huey Lunch Tray and Apple Jack). It turned into a happy mix of products, and I really like the end result :) I added some texture to the layout by including the Punky Sprouts canvas circles (rolled them into flowers) from the main kit, as well as the brown trim from Mary Jane and the gorgeous cream trim from Buster Brown.

This is another simple layout that came together pretty quickly. It's a layout about some thoughts I've been having recently with regards to turning 20 on January 21 - just a few weeks away now! I used some of my favorite products from the kits on this one - the exclusive SC trees paper, the BG alpha and cream trim from Buster Brown, and the Sassafras entwined blooms from Mary Jane. I couldn't resist using the fun SC bookshelf stamp as well - stamped it with Tumbled Glass distress ink.

I had fun with this layout. I went out with some friends, and we took a lot of photos that night. I knew I couldn't pick just one photo, so I decided to print mini pictures. I cut out some rectangles from vanilla cardstock, and treated each one as a little canvas that I decorated with patterned paper scraps from the kit + add-ons. I don't think it's noticeable in the photo of the layout, but I used some foam tape to pop-up the rectangles, then more foam tape for the pictures on the rectangles, for a little more dimension. The rectangles didn't stand out very much from the yellow polkadot paper, so I decided to make a matte for some of them. I don't own the postage stamp punch, so I cut a larger rectangle from kraft cardstock and used my one hole punch to recreate a postage stamp look :) The circle at the bottom is masked with a Martha Stewart snowflake punch and misted with Mister Huey Applejack.

This is the cover of a mini-book that I'm making. I plan to fill it with my favorite things and/or memories of 2010, but I didn't have time to finish it. I'll share the inside pages once I'm done though. I misted the BG alphas from Buster Brown with Mister Huey Warm Calico. I love love love this month's exclusive stamps, especially those cute hearts in the Mary Jane add-on - I stamped this with Barn Door distress ink.

So happy that I was given the opportunity to guest design for this month's Studio Calico kit. Hope you all were a little bit inspired by my layouts; can't wait to see what you do once you get your kit + add-ons! As for me, I want to make another layout or two with Who's Who, and then I have Napa Valley and Metropolitan to break open and play with. I'm still plugging away with my December mini-book as well....I'm on December 17. I'll share the completed pages once I'm done. Anyway, have a wonderful New Year's! I'll be back sometime this weekend to blog about my top 10 layouts of 2010 :) Bye!

5 comments:

  1. Geralyn, congratulations on being the guest designer at Studio Calico! You totally rocked the kit and I love all the layouts you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on guest designer at SC! I love all the detail you put into your layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED your work with the SC kit!!!! That first layout with the misted circles...just took my breath away...pure "fabulous-ness"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job with these kits! The way you used the stamp in the first layout...LOVE that! Congrats on guest dt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geralyn- you did such an amazing job as GD! Thank you for taking the time to post and talk about your LOs! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete