Sunday, February 20, 2011

Crate Sketch: February Edition

I'm going to be super swamped with schoolwork this coming week and the week after, so I'll be taking a little bit of a blogging break during that time. I did sneak in some time today to work on a layout for the February sketch challenge on the Crate blog. The fun sketch was designed by Emily Pitts and I loved seeing all the different ways the DT interpreted it in their examples. Here's my take on it:

Lots of Crate Paper patterned papers, and a little bit from a sheet of Basic Grey Basics. Brads, little die-cuts, and a border sticker are also Crate paper. The photo strip is K&Company (from an old SC kit) and the word stickers are October Afternoon. As usual, I also used two of my favorite products, Japanese washi tape and Studio Calico stamps :)
 I'm still working on scrapping my Texas vacation photos, so I decided to pull these ones out for this layout. That day, we were in the South Congress District in Austin, and while we were waiting to be seated at a popular café, we decided to explore the vintage shops in the area. I've never really been vintage shopping before, so seeing all the cool stuff in the stores was really fun. The main picture is of my sister and these cute teapots we found...the mini picture is just one my mom took of me and my sister browsing the store.

I did do some creative interpretation on the sketch, but I still followed its basic design. I decided to pull out the reds and orange shades from the colors of the wall in the picture, and I threw in some blue because of my sister's striped shirt. I wish I had a lot of Restoration to play with, because the vintage feel of the collection would have been perfect, but I don't own much of it. So I dug through my older SC kits and my stash and pulled out some stuff from the Brook, Pink Plum, and School Spirit collections that would complement the two pp sheets of Restoration that I own, lol!

I decided to layer and tilt the strips of patterned paper, to mimic the cluttered and cozy atmosphere of the vintage shop we were at. It turned out a little crazy, but I like it :)

I liked the unique journaling placement on the sketch, but it didn't quite fit for my layout. I decided to keep my journaling in the same area as the sketch, but I made a pull-out tag with some patterned paper and a few mini die-cuts for the journaling instead.

Just another close-up. My idea for this layout actually started with me remembering that I still had some K&Co photo frames; I thought the photo strip frame would work perfectly for this sketch. Then I kind of just winged it from there :)

Okay, that was a lot of rambling for one layout, heehee. Hope your weekend has been lovely so far!

15 comments:

  1. Love the layout!! The colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm liking layered and funky from you - this is super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh.... fantastic and brilliant, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i love love love how you interpreted it geralyn, it was a perfect sketch for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super!! I must check out that sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I love that sketch too & was thinking of working on it. You always do such a great job incorporating lots of fun product!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic work as always! Love the design, color combo and layering. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. loved how you did this from that sketch! great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just love them photo frames from K & Company? I'm still dying to see other companies come out with more of them...and with a slight twist too! Miss them things...and definitely a huge thank-you for playing along with Crate's Sketch Challenge..I adore your interpretation...

    ReplyDelete
  10. your layouts are always so amazing!

    how do you get such crisp clear photos of your layouts? I just love being able to see all of the details.

    maybe a blog post about your process [wink, wink] ;)

    ReplyDelete