Wednesday, February 9, 2011

One year ago

On the Studio Calico blog this week, Lisa's challenge is to scrap a photo from the same month, but a different year. I knew right away what I wanted to do. The 2010 Winter Olympics was February of last year, and I wanted to make a page reflecting on the experience of the Olympics being in town. I took a lot of photos during that time, but not a lot of them made it onto a scrapbook page. So I spent this afternoon looking through my folders and printing out a photo collage, then scrapping this layout:

 I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, since I had no idea in mind for this layout design. I just knew I wanted to scrap multiple photos, use SC's Metropolitan kit, and use my Noah alpha stamps. The background was stamped with SC's grid stamp, then I lightly misted it with Lunch Tray Mister Huey to tone down the white cardstock. I also lightly misted the letters, which were stamped on white cardstock as well.

One of my homemade tags in action :)

I had fun looking at my Olympics pictures from last year. It was truly a memorable experience, living in the host city of the Olympics. I had friends who performed at the opening and the closing ceremonies, as well as a friend who worked in the athletes' village, where all the athletes stayed. There were a lot of free events, exhibitions, and activities around the city. Even though it was past midnight, the streets downtown would still be filled with people, enjoying the festivities. It was pretty cool :) I thought I would share some of my favorite pictures.

I took this picture of the field down below when I was up on top of the ferris wheel. The cool thing was that all that red that 'filled in' the Olympics design were locally-grown cranberries. 
Left: This huge Coke bottle was inside the Coca Cola Pavilion. Inside the pavilion, they gave out free drinks, a light-up Coke bottle, had some displays, interactive games, and let you take a picture with an Olympic torch :)
Right: My favorite mascot - Quatchi! At certain times, there would be an ice show about the mascots at the outdoor ice rink.
One of my favorite pictures ever :) That's the outdoor skating rink.
Tickets for events were pretty pricy; the one event that I attended was the Pairs Figure Skating Free Skate. This is a picture of the gold medalists. We had such amazing seats - I had a great time!
I also got to take a picture with Elvis Stojko :D He was really nice. 
A daytime photo of the Olympic Cauldron. 

PS. The tags giveaway in the post below is still open. If you haven't entered yet, feel free to leave a comment!

17 comments:

  1. Great layout Geralyn! And what a fun experience! I'd love to attend an Olympic event one day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous layout!! I love the title work and all the snowflakes! Very cool! The pictures are amazing! I would love to be able to attend the skating event too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous layout and what an amazing experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun challenge. You did an amazing job with the layout

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! Awesome photos and beautiful layout to remember this event!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the page! And lucky you - I love Elvis!! My sweet DH is Canadian so we've been fans of his for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your layout Geralyn and am so jealous about your trip to the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your page, geralyn - and love that you took a looking back perspective! great pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing page geralyn! i'm all about the photo grids right now...love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this layout...and the photos! I am like an Olympic junkie...so I'm quite jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this layout & all of your photos, geralyn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful layout! Great pics and memories attached!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this post as it brought back memories of watching the Olympics last year. I was lucky enough to be growing up in Calgary in 1988 when they hosted the Olympics and the energy it brings to the city is incredible.
    Great layout you made for the SC challenge and I love the pic of you and Elvis ~ too cool!
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Skating is my favourite. I'm jealous you got to watch it live. The opening ceremony was amazing, there must have been a real buzz in the city. Such fun pictures. Looking forward to the London Olympics in 2012 but it will probably be too crazy expensive for me to go see anything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ELVIS STOYKO! Oh you lucky girl. I had the biggest crush on him back in the day :)

    ReplyDelete