Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Button fun

I've been on a bit of a blogging hiatus since I've been having my exams, but they're almost over now. Thursday is my last exam, and then it's officially summer! I'm definitely excited. I thought I'd sneak in a quick blog post though, since I need a break from studying.

I was at the Japanese dollar store the other day, looking for binder rings for my China travel mini (which is all done, by the way - all photographed and ready to be blogged about!). I was in the sewing section where I found a button cover thingamajig.
The caption makes me laugh. If you can't read it, it says, "Easy! Miracle! Original button." While I wouldn't quite call it a miracle, it sure is fun.
It came with a cheap little tool, and enough pieces to make 6 buttons. I was intrigued, and while I don't have any nice fabric at home since I don't sew, I thought of trying it with my Studio Calico fabrips...and voila!

They remind me of fabric covered brads, except they're 3/4" buttons. Here's a picture of the backside.

They were really quick and simple to make, except I didn't have enough strength to use the tool that the package came with to push the backside onto the button. I ended up getting a hammer from the garage and pounding it a few times, and it was easy enough. I don't know what I'll do with them yet, but I'm sure they'll end up on a scrapbook layout or project soon :)

12 comments:

  1. Those are so cool! Can't wait to see what you create with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so cool! I have some of those buttons hiding somewhere, I'm off to dig them out! Ta x

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is way cool, geralyn. a miracle, even! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an awesome idea, love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great!!!! And what cute packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad your school year is almost done...i'm sure you're ready for a break! LOVE the great idea...your buttons turned out fabulous! ( i need to break out my fabrips and get creative!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are very cool... cant wait to see them on a layout!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are very cool and the fabrips took to them fabulously!!
    Congrats on another school year under your belt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!!!! I might have some of these - will have to go digging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Idea! I have several sets of these and try to find scraps of fabric here and there to make. Had not thought of my SC fabric rips!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the are SOOOOO cute! You are so gosh-darn creative! :-D

    ReplyDelete