Friday, April 29, 2011

China Travel Mini-book - Part 2

I'm back with part 2 of the giant mini-book! Here's part 1, if you missed the post.

Once again, feel free to click on any picture if you want to see it larger. Here's days 4-6.


















That's it! :) So glad I finished this project. It's been sitting around for a while. Here are some thoughts and information on the book:

  • I resized all my photos (most are 3x4", with a couple 2x3") and I had them printed all at one time, that way I wouldn't have to hassle with picking and printing pictures each time I made a new page. It saved me a lot of time in the long run. 
  • I didn't decide "X photo would go on one page and Y photo would go on the page facing it" beforehand. I just picked and printed whatever photos I liked. I only started laying out the pictures once I began working on the book.
  • I brought a journal to the trip. Each night, when we returned to the hotel, I wrote about what we did that day, before I went to sleep. I do this for almost every trip I go on, so that when I'm scrapbooking the trip later (like this book - which documents a trip from last summer), I have those notes to refer back to when I'm journaling.
  • I also brought a ziplock bag to the trip, so whatever memorabilia I collect (tickets and brochures, mainly) would go in there. In this mini-book, you can see that I've included lots of those tickets and extra bits by making pockets throughout the book to house the memorabilia.
  • Most of the inner pages of the book are 6x6". I threw in a couple odd sized pages as well, to make pockets for tickets or for additional journaling. The pages are just patterned paper backed with patterned paper. 
  • The front and back covers are 6.25x6.5". I used cardboard for the covers (often included in a Studio Calico add-on kit to prevent the papers from bending/getting wrinkled) and I covered it with patterned paper.
  • Majority of my supplies came from Studio Calico's July 2010 kit - Continental and August 2010 kit - Summer Camp. I did pull out some additional supplies from my stash that coordinated well with the rest of my supplies. Of course, I used my go-to items throughout the book - Studio Calico stamps, homemade tags, and washi tape.
  • Like I said, this project has been sitting around for a while. I finally started making a few pages each time I found myself having some free time. The mini-book does look like a big project, but it was much easier to handle once I divided up the photos into Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 etc. Also, 6x6" pages are so much faster to complete than full-sized scrapbook pages :)
  • I've mentioned it before, but I ended up using 3.5" binder rings to bind together the mini-book. 3" binder rings fit, but it was a little tight and I wanted to give it a little more room, so I switched it out for larger rings.
I think that's everything! If you have any more questions, just leave it in the comments and I'll answer you there. Thanks for looking :) 

13 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so fun and cheerful. I also loved seeing bits from old kits all together! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so wonderful!
    thank you for answering the questions too =)
    xo
    p.s. this soooooooooooooooooo makes me wish i had got my hands on the noah alphas before they were gone for good =((

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geralyn - it's faaaaantastic! Wow. I adore the shopping page. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great GREAT book- my fave page is the smaller sized one with all the photos- I guess that's an index print? I also love that you had a Chinese stamp made of your name- that's a great story. I agree that minis aren't as daunting as expected and I love that you don't really plan the layout ahead- the project is like a second journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is just awesome - no one does minis like you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun stuff!! I love mini books...this one is great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mini album Geralyn, very inspiring and fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely adore your style - this mini is gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing and telling us your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the great colour in this. Such a great record of your travel. So much in there for such a small format. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!! You said you used cardboard for the covers. Is this thicker chipboard or just thinner like posterboard?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy! Hmm, it's kind of in between. A bit thicker than posterboard, but not as thick as chipboard. I used some cardboard that was included in my Studio Calico kit to help prevent the supplies from being bent/damaged. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete