Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ampersands and Tags

The Pie Contest patterned paper from Studio Calico's State Fair collection is one of my favorite papers from their Winter CHA 2011 release. I love the overlapping letterpressed ampersands pattern, so one day, I decided to lift the beautiful design when I was decorating shipping tags. The end result of my experimenting turned out pretty great, so I thought I'd make a quick tutorial on what I did.

Today, I'm posting a quick tutorial on making this:

What you need:
- ampersand stamps (I went through my Studio Calico stamps and pulled out all the ampersands from alpha/number sets, as well as two mini ampersand stamps)
- various ink pads
- shipping tags
- optional supplies (not pictured): white Mister Huey, label sticker

1. Start stamping your ampersand images onto the shipping tag, using various ink colors. I decided to go for a blue/green/grey theme. You don't have to re-ink your stamp each time you use it so that sometimes, you get a faded effect. Don't be afraid to let the images overlap.

2. Keep on stamping the ampersand images until the shipping tag is pretty full.

3. As a final step, use a small ampersand stamp to fill in any odd-looking holes on the shipping tag. I used this tiny ampersand from my Studio Calico addy alpha set.


Now your shipping tag is all good to go! I decided to do a little bit more on mine to finish it off...I splattered some white Mister Huey, added dotted lines around the edge, and stuck on a little homemade tag. Here's the completed version, as well as a pink/orange/red version.


I thought the tags would be perfect to use for scrapbook layouts or even mini-book pages. I'm definitely thinking of trying this again, but using a letter in different fonts, instead of an ampersand on a shipping tag (eg. repeating Gs ;) hehe). Anyway, I used the pink/orange/red ampersand tag on this scrapbook page I made on Friday night:


Hope you enjoy! Link me up if you make your own ampersand-decorated tags :)

24 comments:

  1. What a great idea! It would be fun to use letters as well.... hmmmm must try! =)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this! very cool and i like how you used the tag on your layout!! thanks for the instructions on how you did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and totally plan on using it!!! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  4. so very cute! I just used the same ampersand to make a little background, but this idea is awesome! I LOVE shipping tags ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is awesome, www.practicalscrappers.com are looking for layouts with tags this week, you should head on over, you never know you could win

    ReplyDelete
  6. Off to look at the stamping section of the SC store! You totally have me wanting to try this at home! Thanks for the nice tutorial, Geralyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tags are lovely, especially the colours. Doing this with a letter stamp is a brilliant idea, it would be great as a personalised gift tag for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, this is so cool....tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea...simply perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geralyn, this is a BRILLIANT idea! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FUN!!!! I have a similar project idea in mind but I'm trying to source some flea market amperstands- it's harder than I thought. I think I'll just raid my current stash- GREAT page and tags!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! And your layout is way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are AMAZING! I just love coming here! Please tell me you'll be joining the SC team soon. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO fantastic, geralyn!!! what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love this idea. Now I just wish I had more ampersands in my stamp collection!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You...my friend...are a genius! That's such a great idea. I love the idea of using a letter. I just might have to lift this idea when my daughter is born and use "L" for Layla. Thanks for the inspiration...again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Looks beautiful! Good for you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so neat! Congrats on the Crate DT - so well deserved!
    Hugs,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe this is my first time visiting your blog and I'm reading back through a bunch of your posts, as I find your work very inspiring (congrats on making the SC team, btw!).

    Ironically, I recently stamped an ultra simple verison of this for a background paper on this layout here: http://doublehdesign.blogspot.com/2011/08/h2the-anniversary-layout.html

    ReplyDelete