Thursday, July 14, 2011

China: Pandas

Yes, I am dedicating a whole blog post to pandas! The highlight of our trip in China was definitely our visit to the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, where we saw many pandas. It was raining quite heavily for a while on the morning that we went, but it was actually a good thing because it meant that the weather was cooler and the pandas were willing to come out. When it's warm and sunny out, we were told that they like to hide :)

We spent a lot of time at the habitat that had baby pandas. They were all under a year old, and they were so incredibly cute. They were very active and were chasing each other and playing together. I was pretty much smitten :)





 Among the other habitats that we saw, another one that stood out was a habitat with nine year old pandas. They were just lazing around, and were literally having a feast on bamboo shoots and leaves.



Seeing so many pandas was definitely an incredible experience. They are such lovable animals. At the research base, there was a museum as well and we learned a lot about pandas and panda conservation, since pandas are an endangered species. There are less than 2,500 pandas left in the wild.

My favorite photo is the last one in this post, and I decided to scrap it the other day. I'll probably make another single-page layout documenting more panda pictures though!


More travel photos coming soon!

11 comments:

  1. they are adorable...my little one would have loved it there. that last photo is def. scrap worthy and i love the 6th photo of the pandas laying around:)

    off topic: do you scan your layouts or take photos of them? I love how the image is so detailed. i need help myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele: I take photos of my layouts! I make sure to shoot in natural light; I use my dSLR & my 50mm lens. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these pics are amazing; they're posing for you! incredible. cute layout.
    ...and i like to hide when it's hot, too. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geralyn . . . these are the most amazing photographs of the pandas. I just love the nine year old pandas lying on the bamboo shoots on their backs eating. The baby pandas are adorable too. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful panda photos. PS: I love your panda page too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorrgeous page for a fantastic photo! I LOVE the details!!! I LOVE everything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, Geralyn! Awesome layout, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pandas as definitely cute - just as your layout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouw!!! Love the picture... so cute! And love the LO and how you did the title...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pandas are so adorable, and that's such a great layout! Can I ask how you did the "panda" portion>?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debee - I handwrote the word 'panda' and handsewed over my writing. Then I cut it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are adorable! Love the hand stitched title work on this page!

    ReplyDelete