Thursday, October 27, 2011

Studio Calico: Handmade

Hi everyone! Studio Calico's November kit: Handmade is live! So exciting :) Lots of cool stuff in this month's kit, including a sheet of exclusive SC diecut paper and exclusive fabrips. I adore the Amy Tangerine alphas and the My Mind's Eye buttons as well.

This month, along with the main kit, I got add-on 1 (Pin Cushion), add-on 3 (Tatting), and the December Daily project kit. I mentioned it before, but I'm saving the DD for the month of December. I plan on making my pages as the month progresses and I'll be using lots of the cool stuff in the DD as well as some things from my personal stash. I'm already brainstorming on what I'm going to do for the cover of the album ;) 

Anyway, onto my layouts. Life has been so busy this month, but I got six layouts done. I hope you like them!

Snapshot of Life: This layout is my main kit only layout for this month. Die-cut papers normally scare me, but the SC diecut paper worked perfectly as a mask for misting. I concentrated the White Mister Huey mist on two corners of the page and did some handstitching around a few of the shapes afterwards. I love how it turned out :) I also used Piglet Mister Huey on the chipboard banner piece, and Warm Calico Mister Huey (an awesome dark grey) on the Amy Tangerine alphas. Those alphas are super cool because you can mist them and the criss-cross pattern 'resists' and is still visible. Also, the small Amy Tangerine leaf was originally off-white but I misted it with Custard Mister Huey...it's super easy to alter those leaves :)

After making my main-kit only layout, the rest of my layouts are a mix of Handmade, add-on 1 (Pin Cushion), and add-on 3 (Tatting).

One: I handwrote the word 'one' and then used it as a mask...I misted that circle with Orchard Mister Huey and Hotdog Mister Huey. I then stitched around the word and the circle to make it more defined. The background of this page was inspired by an image I pinned on pinterest...love the unique take on the zigzag, and I'm definitely going to try this pattern again on a 12x12 page so that the zig zag is more prominent :)

Here is my inspiration image. Isn't it awesome? :)
Source: up in the air somewhere etsy shop
Good Times: I had lots of fun picking out bits and pieces from the add-ons to put this layout together. I used a lot of those cool October Afternoon toothpick flags (this one is from Pin Cushion) on my layouts this month. I altered the Amy Tangerine alphas again, this time, coloring it with Bluegrass Mister Huey. If you're wondering...that middle photo is a picture of my eggs benedict brunch ;)

JYJ: This layout was just for fun...my friend and I ordered some CDs and they came in the mail one day and we were very excited :) One tip I have for you...I adore the Pink Paislee wood alphas in Tatting, but I didn't want to use them all up. So I traced the alphas onto the Crate woodgrain paper (in Handmade) and cut them out, then used my Uniball white pen to add an outline :) Popped them up with some foam adhesive! I also got to play with the super cool border stamp in add-on 2 (Thimble); I embossed it with White Zing.

Friends?: I arranged bits and pieces of the main kit and add-ons for this layout. On the exclusive SC leaves paper, I used water colors to paint in some of the leaves. You could do the same thing with a paintbrush and some Mister Huey :) The Amy Tangerine alphas were misted with Orchard Mister Huey. I seriously love how you can turn them any color you want! For the border stamp, I used JBS Weathervane, JBS Speckled Egg, JBS Lemondrops, JBS Stick Candy, JBS Chicken Feed, and JBS Chewing Gum.

Fall Fashion: My last layout, which I think is my favorite. I was already planning to scrap these photos, and the dress pattern background stamp (in Pin Cushion) was perfect for this page! It's very subtle, but after I stamped the image, I sewed along the lines of the dress pattern with some Turquoise DMC thread. I am normally scared of using trims, but this brown trim was pretty perfect for this page as well :) The alphas were altered with Classic Calico Mister Huey...love this shade of brown. I embossed the three butterflies with Leaf Zing, Teal Zing, and Aqua Zing, then handstitched through the middle of them afterwards.

That's all from me this month :) I hope you guys like the kits and don't forget to check the DT gallery to see what awesome projects the rest of the DT came up with. Last two recommendations before I sign off...if you don't already own it, the Uniball white pen is a must have (I used it on almost all my layouts this month), and definitely pick up this month's add-on paper! I regret not doing so since this month's papers are gorgeous, so I'm shopping along with you all tonight :) Have fun shopping!

9 comments:

  1. WOW these are all awesome i LOVE them all. I can't wait to see what you do with your DD :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the layouts, but I particularly love the one with the yellow stripes. So beautiful.

    Thanks for the tip on the alpha-tracing. I don't currently own any alphas that I love enough to do that with - ok, that's a lie - I have one set, but I've almost used up every letter. I feel like I am playing a game of scrabble every time I need to use that set because I have so few letters left.

    I also can't wait to see what you do with your DD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful Geralyn!!! Love love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful layouts... Love all the detail...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your work with the kit!!! My favorites are JYJ and Good times! I HAD to pin them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your designs look great!! :) So jealous that you get to play with all those fun SC goodies each month. hehe
    That last layout is awesome - can't wait until my stamp comes in the mail.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, you are amazing! these are all awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you blow me away, girl! amazing work.

    ReplyDelete