Monday, March 19, 2012

Project Life

Oh, Project Life. I've been wanting to blog about this for a while now, and I'm glad that I finally found time (and enough sunshine!) to take photos of my album this weekend to share today.

When I first heard about Project Life, I thought it was a cool concept but I felt that it wasn't for me. I was pretty vocal about not doing Project Life 2012. I liked the divided page protectors and the idea of documenting the everyday, but felt that there were too many pockets in a two page spread for me to fill each week. My life isn't that interesting, haha. But the more Project Life posts I saw around the internet, the more interested I got. So at the end of January, I joined the bandwagon ;) I knew I wanted to make my own version of Project Life, but with a system that works for me. I read Lisa's incredibly helpful Project Life post here, and after a few tweets with her as well as an incredibly encouraging email from the very sweet Alexa, I figured out what I was going to do.

After a lot of thought, I decided that my Project Life would be 8.5x11" and I would use baseball card protectors. Organizing things by week doesn't really mean much for me, so I decided to view things monthly instead. Instead of doing weekly spreads, I decided that I would use two (double-sided) baseball card protectors for each month. The pockets would be filled with things that happened throughout the month, whether they be events, simple everyday things, snapshots, funny conversations, music I listen to, TV shows I watch etc. If I ever do need extra room for a month, I figure I can always slip in another divided page protector.

I also decided I wanted a monthly divider in between the baseball card protectors. For the monthly dividers, I used the 8.5x11" Martha Stewart page protectors from Staples that were divided into 4 slots, but cut off the right half so that I would be left with only two slots. The front top slot would have a calendar page and the bottom have a self-portrait. The back top slot would hold something random that I want to include for the month, and the bottom would hold a collage of extra photos that I took throughout the month.

So after all the writing, here we go :) Here is my Project Life so far:

This is the front of January's monthly divider page. I designed the calendar in Photoshop and the calendar numbers are from Paislee Press. I kept it super simple and added a strip of washi tape at the bottom of the calendar :)

Here's the back of January's monthly divider. I printed off my school & work schedule for the top pocket, since a new term was starting. The photo collage is 4x4" and the photos are 1". It was really simple to put together in Photoshop before printing it out.




I still haven't decided what I'm going to put in the top pocket of the monthly divider, but I'm leaning towards printing out the lyrics of Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up since I had that song on loop for the longest time :)



March is still a work in progress!

Here are some close-ups of my favorite pockets :) I printed my calendar on Epson Premium Presentation Paper, and I'm quite happy with the quality. It's now my go-to paper for Project Life printables.




Love that I remembered to get a business card from this place to include in my PL.

I designed this card in Photoshop and had fun with fonts :) The lyrics are from Sam Tsui - Don't Want an Ending, a song that I played on loop all weekend long.

Anyone else include Draw Something in their Project Life? :) I love how people are including extra flip pockets by using their sewing machines and clear thread, but since I don't have a sewing machine and I'm too lazy to hand-sew, I decided to just use washi tape and it's been holding up fine.


So that's it. That's my Project Life so far :) I probably won't be doing regular updates of it, but I may show my favorite pockets here and there. After working on this for the past few months, I really do love this project. I found that this is enjoyable for me because:
  • It helps me use stuff from both my stash and my Studio Calico kits!
  • I like including screenshots of TV shows I'm watching right now and stuff about music I'm listening to. I think it'll be fun to look back on in the future.
  • I love adding online conversations...stuff from Facebook and Twitter.
  • I like that I can document everyday things or get togethers with friends that I wouldn't necessarily make a full scrapbook layout for.
  • I've been having lots of fun using Photoshop and making stuff for my Project Life. 
Speaking of which, I've been a bit obsessed with designing Project Life printable journaling cards the last week or so, and I'm seriously considering opening my own online shop. I still need to figure out the details on setting up a shop since I've never done it before, but more about that later :) I'm excited to show you all what I've designed though! They make me happy. Coming soon...

I applaud you if you got through this entire post, haha. I know it's long. I hope you enjoyed it though! Thanks for reading. Happy Monday everyone :)

73 comments:

  1. oh my goodness- AMAZING! love it to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pages look amazing- I like your more relaxed attitude towards the project since it can get pretty overwhelming if you try to record each and every day. I'm so behind on my PL that at this point I think I'
    m gonna skip the weeks I didn't wokj up and just start fresh with this week- I still have all the printed photos- perhaps a montage is in order. Thanks for the details on your process- your details and use of color are fantastic and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh-mazing. Great inspiration, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your take on PL, and I can't wait to see your journaling cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your project life looks amazing! I love how you really made it your own. It was a great idea to do a monthly review and using the baseball card page protectors. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your project life album. especially the calendars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great - I love that you're doing 8 1/2 x 11!!! I also love all of the fun details you've included!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks amazing. i am going to try to stick with the weekly for this year but i decided about three weeks ago that it will be monthly for me afterwards. this is wonderfully inspiring. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your PL work so far. I love the creative touches you have put in. love the calendar aspect. I def need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geralyn - seriously stunningly amazing. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING-SPEECHLESS :) Love it... keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love yours is looking Geralyn! I think I would probably prefer 8.5" x 11" as well, should I ever decide to break down and do this!!
    **Loving the Ormolu too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your take on Project Life! Very inspirational and different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a long post but Oh so worth it!!!! :) It is remarkable!!! I love that it has so much variety but a very cohesive look at the same time! I don't know how you do it! I am not doing PL because I have several unfinished projects at the moment but also because I am pretty intimidated by it... Your version is absolutely inspiring though! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would definitely buy from your store if you decide to have one. For starters, I'd love that quote that you designed!! Love your take on PL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I must say, I'm not surprised that you have created something so crazy awesome! I think your pages are outstanding. That's what I love about PL, it can me whatever you want it to be, uniquely yours. You are super talented Geralyn. I just had to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great project Geralyn! I love how you adapted it to be successful for your life. You have an amazing talent and I am always inspired by your projects. Thanks so much for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fantastic!!! Love the concept of the baseball card pockets in a 8.5x11 album. Such a cool idea for people who don't want huge albums... Wish I had have thought about this before I started my 2012 PL. Great work and thanks for the inspiration, cool tips and ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE THIS! I'm going to have to remember it for next year! I'm all set up with the standard stuff but this looks much more my style.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing!!! Really, really love. Thanks of sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love how colorful your pages are. Fantastic. I also love how you get to use from your stash

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a ROCK STAR!! This is simply amazing! Love your printables:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent!!! I'm like you - I am so turned off by Project Life because I really don't do anything worth documenting weekly and no kids so it's not like I'm documenting them. But this - this I love. I still don't know if I am jumping on board - but this is absolutely the first time I've ever even considered it seriously. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your approach! I might try this. Monthly seems much more doable than weekly! Love your designs as always!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so happy you shared this! It's awesome. I love that you're doing it monthly--I really want to get started on this too! (march isn't too late, is it?? ha-ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March isn't too late! Go for it :)

      Delete
  26. Absolute, total love - every one of your pockets is adorable! And I love how you have each month separated - it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome!! I love your pages!! I totally agree, I'm not that exciting that I have something going on everyday! I love your journaling cards! I would definitly shop your store!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous, Geralyn...love the size that you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  29. looks great geralyn! love the colours and just how fun it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the mention :) Adore this so very much. Great idea to include your timetable and photo collages each month. Love how 'real' this is & the insight into your life. Makes me think we'd hang out together if there wasn't a huge ocean between us. If ever you should find yourself in England let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is amazing :)
    SO much to love here!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. you NEVER cease to amaze me. I'd like as much creativity as you have in your pinky finger. And to think you are only 21. By the time you are my age you are going to be stunningly accomplished! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  33. Geralyn, you did an amazing job! I love the idea of the 8.5 X 11 for the monthly spread, and yours is really showing how well that can work. Keep inspiring us! And yes, I would SO be interested in your custom journaling cards--open that shop girl!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is just amazing. WOW!!!!!! Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  35. glad you jumped on board with PL! Thanks for sharing your work - it's beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your stuff is amazing and so inspiring, I love it! I planning to give scrapbooking a go (both physically and digitally) and wondered are all your cards digitally done or do some have some 3D elements to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! My cards in my PL are a mix of digital (printed out) journaling cards and traditional scrapbooking cards, so they do have some 3D elements like brads and flair buttons. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. It does, thanks for letting me know! I'm excited to get some stuff together and have a go myself :)

      Delete
  37. Love how you are approaching PL! And you should definitely consider making the journal cards. Yours are so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You have totally inspired me! I love the 8.5x11 style of your binder and the fact that you DIYed everything. Did you have your cards cut to size to fit the baseball card sheets or do the Journaling Cards fit without trimming?

    After reading your post I'm going to create one based on the year leading up to my wedding version, starting from 1 year before our wedding date.

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the cards I made with scrapbooking materials, I just cut a 2.5x3.5" piece of patterned paper to embellish/add photos. For the digital journaling cards, I resized them all to be 2.5x3.5" before printing them out. I hope I interpreted your question correctly! :)

      Love your idea about creating a PL leading up to your wedding!

      Delete
  39. Where do you get your page inserts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baseball card protectors were purchased at a local sports store. The monthly divider page inserts were bought at Staples.

      Delete
  40. I just wanted to say that I love the organization of your Project Life. The baseball card protectors, the size of the album and the monthly approach. It allows for more freedom, but has theme and organization to it as well. Anyway, I just wanted to share that I think its great. (:

    ReplyDelete
  41. Omg I love this, I want to do this. Am following as want to see how this turns out and also such an inspirational blog

    YY x
    http://lifethroughanumberoflenses.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  42. You certainly should open up a shop, your designs are fresh and fun! I love your approach to PL and think that I might just give this a try. I hate to start something that makes me feel I'll be behind, but feel that with this size, I could just add things as I see fit and not necessarily have to keep track from week to week.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love your work and YES open an Etsy shop. I'm all in!! I don't think there is much to it and there is nothing like your work on there. As for your work, are your Fonts created by you or have you downloaded some? I love the variety, the cursives, the prints, the outline lettering. Do tell.... and thanks for showing us amazing photos keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My shop is open here - http://creativebubble.bigcartel.com :) As for your question, the fonts I'm using are all downloaded, not created by me.

      Delete
  44. I stumbled upon your Project Life work tonight and I'm in awe! You are such an artist! :) I was immediately drawn to your font work (as I saw another poster was above). Would you mind sharing your favorites? I'm terrible at recognizing fonts, but love them! Thanks for sharing your work- I'm very inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just found your site from Kelly Noel's site. She used some of your cards in her PL and I followed the bread crumbs here. I love your cards and just bought several sets. Your pages are lovely and interesting. Thanks for sharing. Hope there's more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Exactly the alternative I was looking for! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Exactly the alternative I was looking for! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Would you consider doing a photoshop tutorial how you did the letters of the calendar months?

    ReplyDelete
  49. I agree with above comment. A tutorial would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I've never heard of Project Life before but I stumbled across this post while looking at journaling and scrapbooking ideas on Pinterest. I LOVE this! What an amazing and fun way to preserve these memories

    ReplyDelete
  51. I found your blog via Pinterest & I'm planning on starting a PL album next year, you have REALLY inspired me! I LOVE your style! And I love that you're doing it monthly, rather than weekly. Your colours & funky young design are so cool! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love your blog, you are very creative, I'm going to try a PL album next year, a great way to journal your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm so tardy to the party, but I'm going to start a Project Life for the first time this year. I love your laid back outlook on it! Makes everything less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  54. WOW!!! I am completely inspired and absolutely in love with your Project Life pages! (: Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I have really been ho humming about doing this project and just didn't want to spend a lot of money on the page protectors and the binder. I am cheap..lol This has really inspired me to give it a try. What is your binder? Love this. Great job and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an American Crafts 8.5x11" D-ring binder. If you live in the US, you could buy it at Joanns/Hobby Lobby/Archivers etc. with a coupon!

      Delete
  56. I really love your take on Project Life. I've been on the fence about starting PL, but your album has convinced me to take the plunge. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  57. This is absolutely amazing. I am awestruck. I just love how eclectic your album is, grabbing all kinds of bits & pieces of your daily life and saving it for the future. It must make you so happy to look back at the pages! =)

    ReplyDelete
  58. I absolutely LOVE your pages! Simple yet adorable! Are those little block letters from alpha stamps? They're perfect! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete