Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Project Life 2014 // Title Page

Project Life 2014 // Thoughts on Project Life for the coming year...

In 2012 (my first year doing Project Life), I chose to do a 8.5x11 format with baseball card page protectors. It was really fun and do-able, but I wanted larger pockets and more options, which is why I switched to 12x12 in 2013. Loved having vertical 3x4 and horizontal 4x6 pockets, and while the page protectors are larger than what I am used to (since I make 8.5x11 layouts), the 12x12 size worked for me since I'm not doing weekly spreads anyway and am filling the pockets as the months go along.

This year, I've decided to stick with 12x12, but I hope to mix up my page protectors a bit. I used all Design A page protectors last year, but I found that there were too many 4x6 pockets for my liking. I want to incorporate more Design F page protectors this year, and maybe even stitch up a few Design A ones so that I have more 3x4 pockets. I'll let you know how that goes :)

I won't be using a core kit but I'll continue to use cards & embellishments from my past, current, and upcoming Studio Calico kits. One thing I also hope to do this year is incorporate more of my stationery stash. I have lots of pretty stationery that I've accumulated over the years, and they are prefect for adding into my PL :) Of course, I'll be using printables too! Love designing them.

Project Life 2014 // Title Page 

I still have a couple spreads for November and December to finish up before completing my 2013 book, but I decided to go ahead and make my 2014 title page since I had an idea in mind. One thing I love to do is alter page protectors to fit my needs. This is easily done by some sewing, either by hand or with a sewing machine!

So, my title page. I really like the look of coin pocket protectors, but I don't have any on hand and I still wanted a full 12x12 page protector for my Project Life title page. I looked through the different PL page protector orientations & designs, but none of them matched my idea. So I decided I could make one on my own. Here's my idea that I first sketched out on paper...
And if my messy sketch is confusing to you, I digitized it so it's clearer, haha.

I started with a Design A page protector. On the 4x6 pockets, I used a ruler to measure out 2", to turn each 4x6 pocket into six 2x2" ones. I made little marks with my white pen for where I'm supposed to sew.

This would be a lot easier if I had a sewing machine, but since I don't have one, I'll show you my process of handsewing my page protector. Using the grid mat as a guideline, I used my piercer to pierce holes vertically along the 2" marks for where I'm supposed to sew.

I used 1 ply DMC thread and stitched vertically first. It's important to do the vertical first!

Once I finished stitching vertically (thus creating 2x4" pockets), I went ahead and filled the bottom part of the pockets with 2x2" paper/embellishment. I'll be stitching the bottom pockets closed, so it's important to pay attention to both the front and back of the design before stitching because I won't be able to change it later. Once I filled the bottom pockets, I measured, pierced, and stitched horizontally across the page protector, turning the 2x4" pockets into 2x2" ones.

That's what I did for each of the 4x6 pockets on my Design A page protector to make a unique page protector for my 2014 title page :)

Here's the front of my title page - a row of 3x4 pockets in between the 2x2 pockets. Most of the papers and fun embellishments I used here are from my Studio Calico kits. I also included a few of my own printables & some stationery from my stash. Following my game plan for this year - SC kits, stationery, printables, check!

Here's the back of my title page. I've been hoarding that beautiful Kal Barteski gold foil card from the Studio Calico Cuppa PL kit, but I finally decided to use it here. I think it looks perfect :)

I'm really happy with how my title page turned out and I'm hoping for another great PL year filled with more fun and more variety! What's your 2014 PL game plan?

33 comments:

  1. This is so unique and creative! I love it! Thanks for sharing your process with us. I'm surprised you don't have a sewing machine. (I don't either so I hand stitch too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! What a great idea and awesome application. :) Looking forward to seeing your 2014 spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, greetings from switzerland!

    http://muckelie.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is drop dead OUTSTANDING. pinned it in 2 seconds flat.
    my game plan? don't have one. scrap-by-the-seat-of-my-pants.
    as always. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a fabulous idea!!! Another beautiful spread..x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - this idea is really amazing. Love all the little things in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowee, your page looks awesome, what a beyond fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is pure genius!!!!! Love it so much and I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really creative and original! Love it, Geralyn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I think I may have a page protector that already has the 2x2 parts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. where is the love life card and the 2014 card (that you have on the front side) from??? love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Live Life card is in my shoppe here: http://creativebubble.bigcartel.com/product/be-true-filler-cards and the 2014 card is one I made for myself since I wanted a black & white number card. I have a colored version in my shoppe here: http://creativebubble.bigcartel.com/product/cheers-journaling-cards

      Delete
  12. Well, way to raise the bar for the rest of us. This is just stunning. Can't wait to see more from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow looks awesome!! I never thought about hand stitching the pockets like that. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is uh.mazing. I don't have a sewing machine either, and figured stitching my pockets would turn out clunky and ugly. Yours are gorgeous! How is it that your knots are not lumpy and awkward?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that piercing the holes before actually stitching helps a lot!

      Delete
  15. Love this! I have the coin page protectors, but it bothers me that they are 8 1/2 x 11 when my album is 12x12, so i might try this. I have a sewing machine, but I'm always scared to sew on the page protectors because I'm worried I'll mess up! I had a question for you, for the wood veneers, etc. that you put in the pockets, are they just loose or did you attach them so they will stay centered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The star wood veneers are loose in the page protectors, but for the other veneers & stickers/flair that look like they're floating, I glued them on a little transparency square before sliding them into the page protector so that they'd stay in place.

      Delete
  16. I am always amazed at your projects - but this is my favorite!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! Even if I thought of this I wouldn't have tackled it. So impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am completely inspired! I wanted something different for my title page and I think using your technique I can make something perfect. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow!! That is a perfect title page. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally inspired by this to try something similar! Thanks for sharing; it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea, Geralyn. Thanks for the tutorial. You made it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely amazing! your work never ceases to be creative and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely LOVE this! Makes me want to alter some pockets too! Great job and TFS!

    ReplyDelete