Saturday, March 29, 2014

Tutorial // A Colorful Border

It's rare for me to fall in love with an entire collection of patterned papers, but I did with the papers in Studio Calico's Lemonlush. I had lots of paper scraps left and instead of throwing them away, I decided to turn them into a bold and colorful border for a layout.

I thought it would be fun to combine the Lemonlush papers with washi tape from my stash. I started with my patterned papers. I cut my scraps into 1x3" strips, since I knew I wanted my border to be 3" tall.

I glued all the strips of patterned paper on a piece of 3x8.5" white cardstock, since I'll be making a 8.5x11" layout and I wanted the border to stretch across the entire bottom section. The last strip is only 0.5", but that's okay.

Then I went through my washi tape collection and picked some washi tapes that would match well with my patterned papers. I started layering the tapes on top of my patterned papers so it would create varying widths and a more unique design.

It's easy to simply fold the washi tape over the edge, or trim off the excess.

I glued this 3x8.5" strip down on my layout, then decided I wanted to add one more thing to finish off my border. I used my little arrow punch from Studio Calico's Wanderlust to punch out some arrows from white cardstock, and I stuck them randomly along my strips. They're pretty small, so I found that it was easiest to glue them with my Martha Stewart glue pen.

Here's my completed layout again! With plenty of white space left on my layout, the colorful border isn't overwhelming at all. I also added a few more diecuts, alphas, and stamping to finish the layout.

Here's a close-up of the border.

I stamped some older Studio Calico stamps with a few of my favorite new Color Theory inks - Something Blue and Deja Blue!

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. really beautiful! thanks for sharing the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. So bright and fun! Love the addition of the arrow punch and treat yo self stamp :)

    ReplyDelete