Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Tutorial // Handstitched Handwriting

One of my favorite techniques to include on my layouts is a bit of handstitching. Since I don't have a sewing machine, I am quite acquainted with using just a needle and DMC thread. I decided to handstitch my title for this page and I took a few in-progress shots to show you how I do it!

I start by handwriting my word with a pencil.

Using my handwriting as my guide, I used my paper piercer to pierce holes along my writing. Piercing the holes before the actual sewing process makes the handstitching a lot easier to do. Make sure you have a piercing mat behind your paper or else you'll end up with holes in your workspace! 

Time to stitch! I like to use DMC embroidery thread. It is 6-ply (meaning there are six strands in one), and I normally separate them to however thickness I want. In this case, I wanted my word to be fairly thick so I used 4-ply.

Voila! I find handstitching to be pretty relaxing to do and I like how it adds a little bit of extra texture to my page.

You can see how I used my handstitched circle on my layout here. Lots of Studio Calico Wanderlust and Lemonlush goodies for this page! I love the bright colors in these collections. I also love using gold geotags - perfect embellishment for my travel layouts :)
Supplies: patterned paper - Studio Calico Lemonlush + Wanderlust; wood veneer - Studio Calico; enamel dots - Color Theory; stamps - Kelly Purkey for Studio Calico; stickers - Studio Calico; geotag - Studio Calico; flair - Kelly Purkey Sketchbook; inkpads - Versafine, Color Theory (Mint Hint, Emerald City); pen - Muji


Happy Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. This is really cool, thanks for sharing that!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hand stitching!! yours is fabulous..x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! What size circle punch was used here? 2 inch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 2" circle punch for the photos and patterned paper. For the white mat, I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out 2.25" circles.

      Delete
  4. I love the overall look of it very much! This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete