Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Travel Tuesday no.8 // Europe Photolog V

Continuing with my Europe photolog, today's Travel Tuesday brings back us to Belgium. We spent a few days here and were based in Brussels, but since we had been to Brussels before we chose to make two day-trips and visit some new cities - Bruges and Ghent.

Let's start with Bruges. What can I say about this city? It was really charming and picturesque. Though it seemed like there were tour groups everywhere and a few places were a bit crowded, I really enjoyed our time here. We wandered the streets and went on the De Halve Maan brewery tour (really cool as it's the last remaining family brewery in Bruges) as well as on a canal boat ride (I thought it would be super tourist-y but it was actually really informative and interesting). We ate Belgian fries, bought some chocolate, and took our time just walking around and taking it all in. I love how well preserved this medieval city is; the architecture of the buildings were just so pretty. And it totally makes sense that the swan is one of the symbols of Bruges. The swans we saw were lovely and I was so excited when I saw two of them form a 'heart' shape with their heads :)

A few days later, we took the train again from Brussels to Ghent. Ghent used to be medieval Europe's second largest city, and like Bruges, its architecture was also well preserved. We only spent a couple of hours here but I think it was enough to walk around and explore a bit of this city. The highlight for me personally was the Gravensteen - a 12th century stone castle with some interesting displays and a beautiful view of the city. We also ended up resting by the canals for a snack-break consisting of speculoos ice cream and Belgian waffles. Yum!

I'll be back next week to share the next leg of our journey...Prague :) Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment