Monday, July 28, 2014

Tutorial // Misted Background

I promised I would be back with a tutorial on how I created this layout's background, so here I am today. I'll be using a few different supplies that I'll be sure to link to as well as Studio Calico's new Sandlot kit. As I mentioned before, this layout is a lift of Jill Sprott's beautiful layout. She is such an inspiration. Let's get started!

This layout uses the new cut files I designed to coordinate with the August kits. I opened the popsicle in the Silhouette Studio software, resized and duplicated the popsicle so I could cut several of them, and cut them out with my Silhouete Cameo. I also deleted the heart shape on a couple of the popsicles for variety before cutting. I can't say enough good things about the Cameo! Best scrapbooking investment I made, for sure.

Once I have all my popsicles cut out, I used temporary adhesive to adhere them to my 8.5x11" white cardstock base.

I put my layout in a box (to contain the mist) and lightly misted the entire page with some older Studio Calico Mister Hueys (Lemonade and Boss Lady). The spray mists provide great coverage and I sprayed from about 10" away so that my page wouldn't be over saturated.

Once I was satisfied with my misting, I took my page out of the box and carefully removed the popsicles.

This is how the page looks with the masked and misted popsicles. I really wanted to go for a summer-y look so Lemonade (yellow) and Boss Lady (pink) Mister Hueys were the perfect mix for a happy, colorful background.

I also cut out a few more popsicles (the second design) with my Silhouette Cameo. I grabbed my waterbrush and watercolors so I could paint them and create an ombre effect.

I adhered my ombre popsicles to my layout with some foam adhesive. This is a really great way to vary the design by adding some interest and dimension to the page.

And here's my completed layout. I added my photo and finished it with some simple embellishments from the Sandlot Scrapbook kit. I love the acetate alphas and that amazing dot washi tape in this kit! They add more color to my page and the layout still maintains a fun, happy vibe.


If you have some mists but haven't really used them before, I hope this pushes you to give them a try! Misting is so much fun. Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Wow ! Love it too ! Thanks a lot for the great tutorial !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this LO and thanks for the tutorial and as always your digital items in the SC shop are awesome.

    ReplyDelete