Thursday, August 28, 2014

Tutorial // Handstitched Gems

The You're a Gem layout I created using Studio Calico's September kit was my favorite this month. The idea to handstitch the gems was so simple but I thought it added the perfect amount of texture to my page. Here's a quick tutorial on how I did it:

I started with my photograph in Photoshop. Using the card kit digital stamps, I added my title 'you're a gem' and a cluster of different colored gems on the top right corner of my photo.

After I printed out my photo as a full size 8.5x11, I added some minimal embellishments to it using supplies from the Poet Society scrapbook kit. I thought the little floral paper in the kit was the perfect match for this page about my niece. Once I finished embellishing, I pulled out my paper piercer, needle and thread.

I started by using my piercer to pierce holes on every point/intersection of the gem I chose to handstitch. 

Then I started stitching the gem with DMC thread. I chose to use 6-ply instead of my usual 2-ply so that the outline of the gem would be nice and thick and there would be a clear difference between the handstitched gem and the digitally stamped ones. Plus, it would add more texture to my page. It is super easy to handstitch the gem because the digital stamp acts as a stitching template!

I followed the same steps - piercing first, then stitching - for two more gems on my page.

The three handstitched gems are interspersed between the digitally stamped ones, and they perfectly frame my title. I really like having the texture from the thread on my layout since I had used so many digital elements on this page and while it was pretty, it was quite flat.

Here's my completed layout! I also added a sprinkle of sequins from the scrapbook kit to finish it off.

I told you it was easy! Hope you enjoyed this tutorial :) Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial and for making me smile at this gorgeous little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet page, adorable all around!!

    More power to simple!! :-)

    ReplyDelete