Friday, October 3, 2014

Northern Lights Travel Mini // Part I

Every time I come home from an adventure, I always bring back tons of photos and memorabilia with grand plans to make a mini-album...and now my to-do list is a mile long. I still intend to document my travels in minis and am working down the list, but with life, work, and other deadlines, I'm making them at a much slower pace than my regular layouts and Project Life. Though it may be time-consuming to document such big trips, I love making these mini-books and reliving my travels through the process. It's also nice to switch gears and work on a personal project for once instead of my regular scrapbook assignments.

I usually print my photos at home when I scrapbook or work on Project Life, but for a large project like a travel mini-album, I choose to edit my photos all at once and then get them printed at a local place (Costco is my favorite for the price and quality). It can be a tedious process but it is 99% more likely that I'll finish my mini-album if I have all my photos chosen and printed beforehand. The Costco photo print sale a few months ago was just the push I needed to get my Northern Lights photos developed, and I'm happy to say that I finished my mini-album a week or two after getting my photos! (I blogged about my Northern Lights experience here, if you're interested).

I finally got around to photographing my mini-album and I'll be sharing some of my pages here. The majority of the supplies I used are leftovers from my Studio Calico kits, Kelly Purkey stamps, Paislee Press digitals, or things from my stash of scrapbook supplies & Japanese stationery. I'll point out some things here and there but if you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments and I'll try my best to answer them!

I normally use handbooks for my travel minis because they can fill a ton of pages, but since I knew this was a short trip, I decided to try out the Project Life 6x8 album. It's nice and sturdy, I like the faux leather cover, and the smaller spine was perfect for this short trip where I wouldn't need as many pages. Here is my title page, a simple 6x8 layout using some of my favorite bits and pieces of paper.
I printed out the photo of the Northern Lights with my instax share printer, because how cool is it to have a Northern Lights instax photo?! The 'a trip of a lifetime' was cut out with my Silhouette Cameo and back with grey cardstock, since I didn't have any letter stickers that I thought would match my layout.

Left | With each travel mini, I like starting the book off with a short summary of how/why the trip happened and any sort of details to remember what sparked the idea or reason for the trip.

Right | The calender printable is from Jasmine Dowling and I handstitched a line indicating the dates of the trip. I decided to make my own 'Yukon' card in Photoshop to indicate where Whitehorse (the capital) is in the territory.

Right | The 'lovely evening' lettering is from Paislee Press, and I added it to my photo in Photoshop first before getting it printed.

Right | I stamped the 'Aurora Borealis' with some old Studio Calico alpha stamps (Stepping Stone, for those who remember it. One of my favorite alphas!). Inks are Color Theory's Mint Hint, Emerald City, and Something Blue - perfect colors to match the Northern Lights.

I kept these pages quite simple because I didn't want to detract from my photos of the Northern Lights. I also love printing out 6x8 photos and I did that a few times in my mini!

Left | The 'explore' lettering is from Noel Shiveley and it originally said 'explore more' but I edited it to fit my photograph. Yay for another 6x8 photo!

That's it for now! I will share more another day :) Don't worry...I won't bore you with all the pages of this mini. And I do have spreads documenting other things - not just the Northern Lights. It just so happens that the day we arrived it was already late afternoon so all we did that night was aurora viewing! Thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous Geralyn!
    Thank You so much for sharing your art with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your work, and the Northern Lights make for fantastic photos. We are planning a trip in 2016, so that gives me a bit of time to figure out my camera and hopefully get some nice photos too!
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to ask you Geralyn, but which page protectors do you use for this 6x8 albums, are they AC by BH or another brand?

    * beautiful as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the Becky Higgins page protectors for the most part. The 2x2 ones I used are October Afternoon, and I couldn't source the full 6x8 BH ones here so I ended up using Simple Stories. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful album. I have a friend who is going to see the lights, and she is trying to find resources on how to photograph the lights, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I did a lot of googling prior to going on my trip to figure out the best settings. I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable people than me! For my photos, I focused on infinity, set my aperature as low as possible, and toggled with the shutter speed, ranging from 10-30 seconds, depending on how bright the lights were and how quick they were changing/moving. A tripod is a must!

      Delete
  5. amazingly beautiful! looks like an incredible trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This album is beautiful! I love the stamp on the bottom right corner of your title page (where you have the airport abbreviation)! Where is that from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's washi tape from a past Studio Calico kit :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your work, Geralyn! I'm culling photos from a recent trip back home to CA and I'm wondering if you have a rough idea how many photos you were able to fit in this BH 6x8? I know you said elsewhere you fit 26 page protectors? But i'm still trying to get a feel for how many photos and what sizes I should shoot for so everything can fit in the Simple Stories 6x8 I got. :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't count how many photos I used in the end, but I checked and had 48 4x6 photos (some of them are full 4x6 photos, some of them are two 3x4s photos as a 4x6) and 4 6x8 photos printed at Costco. Hope that helps!

      Delete