Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Travel Tuesday no.17 // Granada

Hi everyone! I'm trying to get back into the swing of things since I haven't blogged in a while, and I thought the best way to do that would be to revive my Travel Tuesday posts. I have lots of adventures still to share and since I'm currently blogging about them in chronological order, I better get to it. All these Spain photos are from back in June! Here we go: today I'll be talking about Granada, which is in Andalusia and has an incredible wealth of Spanish-Muslim art and architecture.

Of course, the most famous of them all would be the Alhambra, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that was originally built in the 9th century. This Islamic fortress and palace was the most visited monument in all of Spain in 2013, so you can imagine its historical importance and grandeur. It was the home of various kings throughout the centuries, each with their own contribution to the palace's extensive architecture. I was so glad we had a chance to visit this place! We spent a couple of hours exploring and learning about the history and significance of several of the palace areas and structures.

I loved observing the details of the walls, the floors, and the ceilings. Everything was so intricate and beautifully designed.

After spending the morning at the Alhambra, we wandered around Granada for the rest of the day. Lovely buildings everywhere!
It was so hot - 32*C apparently - but it definitely felt hotter. I thought it was a cool idea for them to set up these giant tarps along the streets and alleys to provide some shade. They were simple but really useful and functional.

We had lunch at a random tapas place, and the sangria, wine, and fro-yo were must-haves to help us cool off in the hot afternoon! That was some pretty good fro-yo :)

At night we headed to Mirador de San Nicolas for a night view of the city and castle. It was quite pretty but so dark that I couldn't get my camera to focus, so here's a bokeh shot I took instead.

And to cap off this post, here's one last photo of what seems like a quintessential Spanish night to me - the patios of bars and restaurants still filled with people drinking, eating, and enjoying each other's company in the wee hours of the night.

Hope you have a lovely Tuesday!

1 comment: