Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Travel Tuesday no.21 // Yokohoma

I'm really excited to be starting a new mini-series in my Travel Tuesday posts as I finally talk about my trip to Japan last October. It was a brief trip but I was happy that it was possible to extend my stopover in Japan on the way home from the Philippines. Japan is hands down my favorite place in the world and I am always looking for opportunities to go there and explore. This trip marked my fifth time visiting the country - the fourth time in three years.

Today, I'm sharing some photos from our day trip to Yokohama. Yokohama is Japan's second largest city (based on population) and is easily accessible via train. It was my first time visiting the city, despite its close proximity to Tokyo.

After some initial walking and wandering around, we found ourselves heading towards the Cup Noodles Museum, where we made the impromptu decision to pay the admission to check it out. It was such a quirky and fun place! I love that the goal of the museum was to inspire creative thinking and curositiy in the visitors through education on Momofuku Ando's invention and life story, as well as through several interactive exhibits. You could even make your own cup noodles!

The historical Red Brick Warehouse was our next stop, and it was really busy the day we went because of the Yokohama Oktoberfest happening beside it. Still, it was fun to walk around and check out the shops and restaurants inside.

Of course, one of the few pictures I took inside the Red Brick Warehouse is of stationery. Lots of Yokohama themed stationery, including this cute set of washi tape!

Some notable food photos, just because. I love love love eating in Japan. I'm sure I'll be posting food photos in every Japan-related Travel Tuesday post, ha.
We wanted to take a break and stumbled upon the Zou-No-Hana Terrace, which was a rest house with an art space, cafe, and a little information booth. It also had a seriously cool interior. 
There were a few small temporary art exhibits at one end of the space and despite their size, they wowed me with their beauty, texture and attention to detail. There were two that really stood out to me (quotations below are English translations of the text provided at the exhibits):

The first one was a collaboraton between Slow Label x Akira Minagawa of the famed designer brand mina perhonen. This was my first time hearing about Slow Label, but it was really interesting to learn how this non-profit connects companies, welfare institutions, and artists to focus on individual creativity and new systems of manufacturing. 
"In this project, members of the Konan Welfare Center give free rein to their impulses as they embroider fabrics from the fashion brand mina perhonen, resulting in a body of products rich in artistic character." 
The second one was a series of intricate thread sculptures made through a collaboration between Mayumi Sakino, Kobo Inaba (a creative workshop for disabled members of the community), Fujimi Ikeda x Takahiro Iwasaki. Iwasaki is a Japanese artist known for using unusual materials to create detailed models of historic buildings and structures. 
"In this exhibition, which uses the architectural structures of Yokohama - a city that has become a hub of intercultural exchange - as its motif, contemporary artist Takahiro Iwasaki transforms woven pieces of art that manifest the workings of the hands and hearts of their disabled creators into a brand new landscape that lies at the intersection of a diversity of worldviews." 
They were just so beautiful and I spent several minutes just trying to take in all of the details. The time we spent at Zou-No-Hana Terrace was unplanned but seeing these artworks (and getting a yummy yuzu drink, ha!) definitely made it one of my personal Yokohama highlights.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to hit up all the spots we wanted to go to in Yokohama (I wanted to go to the Ramen Museum!) since we did our exploring at a leisurely pace. On the up side, this gives me a reason to make a trip back to here in the future :) If you ever get a chance to go to Yokohama, you should do it! 

I'll just leave you with some last photos I snapped of the city as we headed back to the train station to return to Tokyo. Happy Tuesday! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing...what a fun feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! Japan is definitely on my bucket list to visit in this lifetime! Thanks for inspiring me to go one day! =)

    ReplyDelete