Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Travel Tuesday no.22 // Tokyo

Tokyo is a city that I constantly find myself wanting to go back to. This past October marked my third time in the city, and as I've said before, each trip makes me fall just a bit more in love with this place. I've barely scratched the surface of all the wonderful things there are to see and do and eat in this city, and I'm already dreaming of my next trip back.

The photos I'm sharing are sort of a hodgepodge, since we only had about two days in Tokyo this time around and were in and out of the city. We started our Japan trip in Tokyo, but also took a day trip to Yokohama (blogged about here) and flew to Hokkaido for a couple of days before returning to Tokyo to go home. I've tried to narrow the photos down, but here are some of my favorites!

My first time visiting Zojo-ji Temple. It was really picturesque with the Tokyo Tower in the background. This is actually the closest I've gotten to Tokyo Tower and I hope one day I'll actually get to go to enjoy the view.

We took the train to Ikebukuro and it was a lot of fun checking out the Gyoza Stadium in Namja Town! There weren't any English signs so we just randomly chose which gyozas we wanted to eat based on photos, ha.
This cheese gyoza was a favorite, and I also enjoyed a panda ice cream crepe there. It was simple but a really cute idea to use chocolate chips to create the panda face!

Other cute food in Japan...macarons and mini red bean/chocolate buns.
Japan also wins at incredible packaging! These were a couple of my favorites that I snapped photos of.

Despite our busy itinerary and our different interests, I always make a point to stop by a few stationery shops whenever I'm in Japan. Stationery shopping in Japan is the best.

One night, we walked around Omotesando as well as had dinner at Maisen in the area, reputably the best tonkatsu restaurant in Tokyo. It really was delicious!
A fancy matcha dessert, just because. I love anything matcha and was happy to stumble upon a dessert cafe on our last night in Tokyo. We all had variations of matcha desserts :)
Other fun things in Tokyo. I bought the beer (on the left) at the convenience store and the blueberry cheese cake ice cream (on the right) at a vending machine.

We spent our last morning in Tokyo at Koishikawa Korakuen, one of Tokyo's oldest gardens, since it was near our hotel. I really love visiting Japanese gardens and find them to be such tranquil places.
It was a beautiful day - the perfect way to end our trip. The reflections of the trees in the pond were pretty incredible since it was so sunny and the waters were clear. 

And one last snapshot at the airport - beautiful kokeshi dolls by a contemporary Japanese artist, Kaori Kawauchi.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I am living vicariously through you! Such beautiful photos of Tokyo - I hope to visit one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place, love how cute those macarons are :)
    I need to add this to my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geralyn, thanks for sharing such beautiful photos of Tokyo. I've been there a couple times, but like you..always yearning to return. I just found out there is a gyoza stadium! That will be in my list :)

    ReplyDelete