Thursday, March 26, 2015

2014 Travel Highlights Mini

Sometime last year, I had the idea to create a mini book summarizing my adventures for 2014 since I had done quite a bit of travelling. I wanted to keep it small and simple, and it became a fun and personal side-project throughout the year. I eventually finished it a couple of weeks ago, and here it is!

ALBUM
I used the We R Memory Keepers 4x4 album in black and the coordinating 4x4 and 2x2 page protectors.

NOTES
Some things to note:
  • Format - My original plan was to make a two page spread (left & right) for each city visited with a 4x4 photo on the left and title/journaling on the right. The cities where I spent a bit more time would get an extra 2x2 page protector with a few more photos/embellishments. Due to the size limitations of the album, I ended up having to alter my plans a bit (when I got to my Spain spreads), which I'll discuss later on.
  • Style - I wanted to stick with a simple and clean style, with layered details so I used a lot of tags and die cuts from my stash of scrapbook supplies and stationery.
  • Consistency - Since my mini would be documenting so many different cities, I wanted to have some kind of consistency in my album so I did so with the alphas I used: I chose (retired) Kelly Purkey alpha stickers for my city titles and (old) Studio Calico tiny alpha stamps for the country names. I would also label each city with dates and jot down some highlights about the trip. 
  • Keep pages flat - I quickly realized that I would be using a lot of page protectors. I wanted to ensure that everything would fit in one album, so I opted not to use anything bulky. I relied heavily on patterned paper, labels, stamps, die-cuts, and washi tape as my primary embellishments.
  • Supplies - Aside from the album, I did not purchase anything new specifically for this mini. My goal was to use up my stash. The majority of my supplies are from past Studio Calico kits, several stamps I used are ones designed by Kelly Purkey, and I also pulled out my stationery and Japanese washi tape. 

TITLE PAGE
Keeping it simple, using some of my favorite die-cuts, tickets and stamps! The airplane paper clip is probably the bulkiest thing in this album.
I started my book off with a summary of the year. I created the map and infographic in Photoshop and they were inspired by the lovely infographic from my favorite adventurers Mr & Mrs Globetrot. Some of the numbers are approximate and I did my best adding them up based on my memory and my travel journals. 

I thought of two possible ways to organize this mini: by continent or chronologically. I decided to go chronological, and the first trip of 2014 was to see the Northern Lights. It was a pretty epic way to start the year.
Oh, Paris ♥ I couldn't resist printing off the 'Bonjour Paris' illustration for one of my 2x2 slots from Anna Bond's instagram.

I stamped the full country name with some old SC alpha stamps the first time the country is mentioned, and for the succeeding pages relating to the same country, I opted to only stamp the country abbreviations. ie. I stamped 'Belgum' on my Brussels page, but I only stamped 'BE' for the Bruges and Ghent pages.

I love finding opportunites to use my Aloha stamp set (the cityscape stamped on the Manila page). It's still one of my favorites.

Once I got to my Spain pages, I realized my album was getting pretty full and that there would be no way I could fit all my travels in this one mini if I continued doing two-page spreads for each city. So aside from Barcelona and Madrid (which we spent more time in so I thought they deserved regular spreads), the smaller cities each got one side of a 2x2 page protector.

For these smaller cities, I printed off two 2" photos, used one slot for journaling, and the last slot for the title card. To keep things consistent, each title card had the first letter of the city name on a tab, then I stamped the name of the city beside it (and SP for Spain) and included the date visited. It was pretty fun to pick different die-cuts and alpha stamps for the tabs!

The number of page protectors/little cities didn't quite work out perfectly so Barcelona got a 4x4 photo/page and a 2x2 page protector instead of two 4x4 ones, but I just rolled with it.

I think the Sapporo page is one of my favorite spreads in the mini, perhaps because I used part of a KesiArt patterned paper that I've hoarded forever. I'm trying to actually use my supplies instead of hoarding them, because it seems so much better to enjoy the prettiness when it is used on a project :)


For the final page, I used some Kelly Purkey stamps, Studio Calico stickers + a geotag rub-on, and my favorite washi tape. I kept it simple with just one last note on 2014 being the year of travel and adventure.

Here's another look at my album. You can see how flat the pages are, yet how full the album is. If I really needed to, I could probably squeeze in one or two more page protectors.

In total, I used twenty eight page protectors. I love how fat and full this album is! Another one to add to my growing collection of mini-books.

Let me know if you have any questions!

24 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. Love your mini travel album. It's so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm creating a similar highlights album for all the trips I took in college. I've been looking forward to seeing yours for inspiration! Thanks for sharing - I always love looking at your travel minis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this same album to do a mini for my sons first few months. I was still deciding on layouts. I love how yours came out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous idea! I am jealous of all of your travels, thank you so much for sharing those little tid bits and pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make awesome travel minis!! So lovely and inspiring.. I wish to document our trips and this would definitely be a great inspiration to me.. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in love with your work and this mini album is just another example of how awesome of a scrapbooker you are! Love this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best travel albums anywhere. Love following your adventures and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally awesome; turned out so nice! You're a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just say how lovely & awesome this mini album! You are so lucky to be visit all these amazing places and in just ONE year! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just used one for travel memories too. Yours is really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing album is this!! Love your style and love all the places you've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea!! It turned out so pretty and so inspiring! I'll be making one of these for my sister. Glad you liked Spain :) You should swing by the northern part of the country (where I'm from) So different from the southern part but equally awesome. Santiago de Compostela, Bilbao, Gijón (that's me!), Donostia...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic album! Wow, so many amazing trips and all in one year!!!! You've traveled more this past year than I've traveled my whole life. Gotta get working on that. ;) Thanks for all the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - absolutly amazing mini! Love how you created the pages in a flat style. Such an amazing time with all that adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such dreamy travels and love pages!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so awesome!!! Totally going to "borrow" this, k? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the great inspiring work. I wish i had your photoshop skills to do the charts you did. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would totally buy your travel templates if you were to put them in your shop!! I said that on another post too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a wonderful idea. Really need to do one for all my travels. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely LOVE this album! I have just come back to Australia from 5 weeks travelling Europe and the UK and am looking at something like this for my travel album, however mine will be a bit bigger and slightly different.
    I absolutely love the infographic you did and would like to include something like this in my album, but I have no idea how to use photoshop (I have photoshop on my computer but no idea what to do with it). Could you please point me in some direction of how to use photoshop to create an infographic/ find a template etc?
    Thankyou for the amazing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't use a template for mine, but I remember Barbara Picinich wrote a great tutorial on making an infographic in Photoshop Elements - maybe that will help:
      http://thepicinicbasket.blogspot.ca/2014/05/how-to-make-infographic-using-photoshop.html

      Delete
  21. Has come across this blog for the first time and love this album. Where did you get the luggage tag card (Madrid, Manila, Hong Kong...) from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are die-cuts from an old Crate Paper collection.

      Delete
  22. I LOVE this tiny album full of memories.

    ReplyDelete