Thursday, July 30, 2015

Taiwan Travel Mini // Part I

The number of travel minis I want to make is getting a bit out of hand, so I decided to start with my most recent trip for my latest mini-book project. Thanks to a photo print sale at Costco, I got all my Taiwan photos printed and ready for this album about a week after my trip - probably a personal record! This was a fun project to put together - manageable in size since it was only a four day trip - with plenty of photos and memorabilia to document.

Aside from the album (a black 6x8 Project Life album), I didn't buy anything in particular for this project. I made good use of my stash of leftovers from my Studio Calico kits, Kelly Purkey stamp sets, and of course, my own printables. I'll point things out here and there, but if you have specific questions, let me know in the comments and I'll try my best to answer them.

I decided to go with an unconventional route for my mini-book title page. I loved the front cover of a tourism brochure I picked up in Taipei, so I simply cut it out to use as the start of my album. It's about 3.75x8.25", so it was the perfect size and worked well as a sort of divider.

I simply backed it with patterned paper (so that it would be less flimsy), added a little October Afternoon tabbed sticker, and punched holes on the side.
On the back side of the divider, I adhered a print-out of Taipei's metro map and created a pocket with patterned paper so I could insert some extra business cards I picked up during my trip.

I didn't want to jump right into my travel spreads yet with only a divider page as a title, so I created this 6x8 page. It was actually a paper bag from Anthropologie that I fell in love with and re-purposed here. I cut out the letters for 'TAIWAN' with my Silhouette Cameo and adhered a copper label and chipboard star underneath it to complete my page. The stamps I used are retired sets from Studio Calico (the date) and Kelly Purkey (the phrase).

On the left, I started my album with the reason for this trip. I always like jotting this down at the beginning of a travel mini to remember why and how an adventure began. I stamped the dates with some cute numbers from Kelly Purkey's Love List stamp. The washi tape and little tickets are all stationery I bought in Japan.

I documented our hotel on the left side, and the right side is a 6x8 page protector with a bunch of 2" pockets detailing our meet up with my relatives. I love using this configuration when I have a lot of photos and stories. It's also really fun to embellish!

I saved a business card from the hotel we stayed at, so I simply attached it to some patterned paper with a paper clip and added a big label with a tiny bit of embellishing. I collect all sorts of memorabilia on my trip, and I love sorting through them when I get home and deciding which bits and pieces to include in my album.

The back side of the 2" pocket page configuration holds more photos and notes. I used a journaling card from my Wander no.1 Cards to jot down some highlights about the night. And yes, another business card - this time, from the restaurant we ate at. We started our Taiwan trip off with an 8 course meal...nothing better than that!

The last event for our first day in Taiwan was a visit to the Shilin night market. The journaling cards I used here are both from past Studio Calico kits. It feels good to make a dent in my kit leftovers and use up these supplies since many are things that I love and have been waiting for the perfect project to use them on!

I'll be back with Day 2/Part II of my album soon. Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. I just LOVE your travel minis! Do you have a range of how many pics you have to determine which size album you should use for a project? We just got back from Disneyland & I had visions of a great little 6x8 album. And then I came home w/ 700+ pics. Obviously I won't scrap them all, but it still seems a LOT for 6x8. Advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally determine my album size based on a certain range of photos, but moreso with how long a trip was. If a trip was just a weekend I use a 4x4 mini, for about 3-4 days I use a Becky Higgins 6x8 album (it has a thinner spine), a 5-7 day trip gets a Studio Calico Handbook, and I'm planning to tackle my two week trip to Europe with a 9x12.

      Hmmm, it is always easier for me to first sort my photos by day and then hopefully figure out the size I want to go with. If you find 6x8 too small, a 9x12 Disney album would be really cool! Good luck!

      Delete