Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Travel Tuesday no. 28 // Oahu


Aloha! We've finally reached the end of my Hawaii posts as I blog about one more place - Oahu. We took an evening flight from Maui to Oahu via Hawaiian Airlines and it was the shortest plane ride I've ever taken. I was so amused that we were probably only in the air for about 25 minutes!

We had four short days in Oahu, and I really enjoyed getting to experience both the city and the island life/the beautiful beaches. We stayed in Waikiki but had a rental car which made it convenient to drive everywhere we wanted to go on the island. We hit up lots of tourist spots, tried some delicious food, and experienced a luau. A personal highlight for me was getting to meet up with Eri as well and she was so kind and sweet! It was a morning well spent with her :)

We decided to spend our first day in the North Shore area and one of the beaches we visited was Laniakea Beach, in hopes of spotting sea turtles. We were lucky and found some sunbathing in the hot sand and even watched one emerge from the ocean to rest on the beach. My first pet I had as a kid was a little turtle, so I have a soft spot for these creatures!
Matsumoto shave ice and Giovanni's shrimp truck were must visits! Both were delicious. 
We ended our afternoon with a visit to the Dole Plantation and it was my first time eating Dole Whip. Man, even after all the hype surrounding it, it did not disappoint. So, so good. I loved seeing all the pineapple variations in the garden as well and we took the train ride before the place closed (mainly for my nephew, ha). 
One of the things we didn't have enough time for was Pearl Harbor. Unfortunately, we didn't allot enough time to stay here, so we didn't get to visit the memorial or the submarine. Photos around the place had to suffice! I'll definitely visit it again one day.
We did head to downtown Honolulu to visit the Iolani Palace. I've mentioned it before, but I have very limited knowledge of Hawaiian history so I really appreciated the information I learned here about Hawaii and its former rulers. 
This was one of my favorite photos and one I enlarged as a 12x12 for my Project Life :)
One of the cutest shops I found in Oahu! Owens & co. sold lots of beautiful products and handmade goods, many of which were from independent designers. I love stores like this and it was so fun to browse around and admire the unique items.
Before I went to Hawaii, I asked for recommendations and tips from my friends on instagram and I was rewarded with lots of great advice. One of the recommendations mentioned was Marukame Udon, and my whole family loved it so much that we ate here twice during our four day stay in Oahu. 
One of my favorite memories was taking a solo photo walk around Waikiki early one morning. It definitely made me more aware of my surroundings and I loved hearing the ocean waves beside me as I walked along the beach and observed the morning scenes. 

This was my first time trying acai bowls and loco mocos! YUM. We had breakfast at Eggs 'n Things and it was so delicious. There are apparently a couple of branches in Japan so I'll have to go find it there one day since I go to Japan more often than Hawaii.
We spent an afternoon at Hanauma Bay and I absolutely loved it. The waters were so clear and there was so much marine life! We didn't even have to go out very far when snorkelling to see schools of fish surrounding us, swimming in and out of the coral reefs.  There were fish of various sizes and all different colors, which I found so inspiring and beautiful. 
We read a couple of reviews and ended up choosing the Chief's Luau at Sea Life Park for one of our evenings. It was a fun and entertaining experience, though the food and service from some of the staff could have been improved. We enjoyed the show and the performances though and my nephew loved watching the fire dance. 

We could have definitely used an extra day or two in Oahu, but it was a memorable couple of days on the island! One thing we missed was Diamond Head and I definitely want to do that next time. Hawaii, you're lovely. Til next time!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Love all your photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete