Friday, September 18, 2015

Tokyo 2015 Travel Mini // Part I



I have a quick trip to Japan from earlier this year that I've got documented and completed in mini-book form. I only spent about three days in Tokyo but I never say no to an opportunity to go to my favorite city! I travelled with my brother this time around and we packed as much as we could into our short stay here. I'll be sharing photographs from this trip in my future Travel Tuesday posts, but thought I'd start my mini-book posts now since I'll be breaking this project up into several entries.

As always, 6x8 is my go-to size for a travel mini-album. I'm using a Becky Higgins 6x8 Project Life album with the coordinating 6x8 page protectors. Supplies are a mix of my Studio Calico kit leftovers stash, Kelly Purkey stamps, Japanese stationery + washi tape, and my printables. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

I wanted to create a colorful a-symmetrical grid design for my title page, and found some fun papers from an old Studio Calico collection - I believe it's called Lemonlush. Though I didn't bring my instax camera with me on this trip (I have the instax mini 50s), I printed some photos afterwards with my instax share printer, including this one I used on my title page. Love my polka dot instax film! I also used some Kelly Purkey + Studio Calico stamps and washi tape. 

I had a somewhat hectic itinerary for the month of June and I wanted to highlight how this trip fit into that by making a calendar page to start off my album. I'm not a planner person but I did pick up some oversized calendar sticky notes when I was in Japan because I thought they'd be great for minis. I used one of the sticky notes here and customized it with stamps and stickers. 

The month 'JUNE' was stamped with SC alpha stamps + Deja Blue ink and the numbers were stamped with an old SC stamp set + Blush Crush ink . To highlights the days I was in Tokyo, I stamped those dates with Deja Blue ink and decorated the boxes with various stamps, embellishments and Japanese stickers. It was pretty fun to make this page, despite having no planner-decorating experience! :)

I collect a lot of ephemera during my travels, and I always end up bringing home a big zip-lock bag of pamphlets, brochures, and business cards. One of my favorite things to do in my travel minis is to incorporate those papers in my pocket pages because they are such unique reminders and mementos from a trip. Here, I saved a luggage tag from the airline I was on as well as my bus ticket to my hotel.
A couple of my printable cards from Wander no.1 and Recorded no.1 in use, yay! I like to journal a lot in my minis so I remember the details of the trip. Here, I wrote about spending the first day in Tokyo alone since my brother and I took different flights and he arrived later than I did (hence the 'solo' word, stamped with the KP Shoreditch stamps).

Something you may notice on a couple of my photos here and there is that I'm adding text or digital brushes right on the pictures before printing them. The 'fresh' word art on the flower photo is from Paislee Press.

I paired a free printable card from Tina with a Kelly Purkey/Christine Herrin stamp (digital version here) and cute plus sign puffy stickers. I didn't really take any good photos of the store I shopped at, but I found its logo on Google and put it right on top of my photo and I think it looks a lot better. Kinda like an intentional embellishment on a not-so-great photo? Haha.

I bought some really cute Japanese food sticky notes (onigiri, ramen, sushi etc.) in Tokyo and I am obsessed with them. Seriously. You'll see them appearing in my album a lot! I stitched right through the sticky note and added a bit more embellishing + journaling on my card. Random fact // that green washi tape on the bottom is from the very first roll of Japanese washi tape I bought in Tokyo, 2009. The adhesive is still as good as new, after all these years, and it is one of my favorite go-to designs.

This concludes my Day 1 and I'll share more soon. Happy weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely! Really love the addition of the June month calendar sticky notepad piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very beautiful and interesting as it is my dream to visit Tokyo!!
    Thank You~
    PS: Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should - I love Japan!

      Delete
  3. The calendar sticky note is such a good idea, it looks great! I’d love to visit Tokyo one day, I bet the stationery shops are amazing there! Your new layout looks lovely by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Japan really is stationery heaven. It's one of the reasons it's my favorite place to go :)

      Delete
  4. Your album came out amazing as always. I love how you include so much of ephemera from your trips. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute album! I'm going to Japan (Tokyo & Osaka) this November, and I'm so excited! Can you recommend stationery/craft shops that I can check out? Also, where did you get the Japanese food sticky notes? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both Loft and Tokyu Hands! They're big chains with entire floors dedicated to stationery/crafts. I think I got the sticky notes at Tokyu Hands. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Love this book and love the sticky notes!

    ReplyDelete