Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Travel Tuesday no.36 // Portland


Last December, my family and I headed down to Portland for a quick getaway. I've been to PDX twice before as a kid since it's only a six hour road trip from home, but it has been ten(!) years since my last visit. I was excited to go back to this city to explore all the cool places and spaces.

Portland definitely didn't disappoint. Even though the sun never made an appearance during our three days here, we had lots of fun eating delicious food, exploring local shops, and simply hanging out. I had a long list of places I wanted to check out and while we didn't make it to all of them, this trip was special since we were all there. Christmastime is one of the rare times when we're all together as a family. Definitely a great way to cap off the year!

Today I'm sharing some of my favorite photos from our trip (and you can see how I documented a summary of this trip in my Project Life here):


Started one of our mornings off at Blue Star Donuts. Oh man, so good. We kind of went overboard and ended up getting sixteen donuts, lol. It was worth it though! There were a lot of unique flavors and every single one was delicious.


I could spend hours at Powell's browsing their incredible selection of books!


Since it was the holidays, the Ace Hotel lobby was always busy whenever we passed by. We did catch a quiet moment in the evening though, and I had a good cup of coffee at Stumptown next door while waiting for the rain to pass.


We drove to Multnomah Falls, the second highest waterfall in the US. It is such a picturesque place and the fog made it even more magical. There was even a light dusting of snow at the higher elevations. (Bonus - there are rubber stamps to use inside the US Forest Service info center :D Talk to one of the volunteers; they're all super nice!)


Clearly, one flight of ice cream at Salt & Straw was not enough to try their unique flavors, ha! There were so many interesting combinations and surprisingly, the pear & blue cheese was one of my favorites.



There are so many amazing local shops in Portland! Too many on my list to visit - I definitely need to go back to hit up all the others. My absolute favorite from the ones I went to though was Lark Press, a lovely little shop filled with all kinds of treasures.


We had a lot of good meals in PDX as well. If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be Tasty n Sons. Loved the industrial look of the space, the maps hanging on their walls, and their 'American diner' cuisine. I still dream of their shakshuka!


Schoolhouse Electric was gorgeous. Walking around and photographing all the details here definitely inspired me...I'm filing lots of ideas under #dreamhome!


We really enjoyed our quick visit and I'm hoping to be back again one day (definitely sooner than 10 years! ha) to explore more local shops and good eats. Love you, PDX!

No comments:

Post a Comment